Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Muenster Bread


The Mission: Make "Muenster Bread" as found in an old Taste of Home's Blue-Ribbon Recipes booklet by my best friend Mark. I decided to add this to the Easter Dinner menu in order to get as many reviews as possible (and feed it to Mark who will be attending).

The Ingredients:
  • 2 packages (1/4 oz each) active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm milk (110* to 115*F)
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • 4 cups (1 lb) shredded Muenster cheese
  • 1 egg white, beaten
The Instructions:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. add butter, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a sof dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese. Punch dough down; roll into a 16" circle. Place in a greased 9" round cake pan, letting the dough drape over the edges. Spoon the cheese mixture into center of the dough. Gather dough up over filling in 1 1/2" pleats. Gently squeeze pleats together at top and twist to make a top knot. Allow to rise 10-15 minutes. Brush loaf with egg white. Bake in a preheated, 375*F oven for 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
The Result:
Well, the bread got a little brown on the top instead of staying a nice golden color, but I'll go ahead and blame that on my cheap oven. haha. I didn't take my time and make nice, even pleats, so the loaf looked a little funky, too. But it tasted fantastic!


The Reviews:
Everyone who tried a piece really liked it. My family and my in-laws all tried a piece and were raving about it. My husband - who wasn't really sure about the muenster part of it - seemed rather impressed. I think this bread is definitely worth baking again. I am adding it to my repetoire for entertaining.

1 comment:

Reka Stormborn said...

For those of you playing the home game, you'll recognize the shirt behind that last picture from the deviled egg recipe...
That's me holding this DELICIOUS bread. It was really good. From what I remember we all had seconds, and she had been feeding us a good bit already that afternoon. (I'm not complaining, mind you, not everyone has a sister who is a wiz in the kitchen.)
I definitely recommend this one for taste.