Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Monkey Bread

The Mission:

Make Monkey Bread from scratch using a recipe that I've had for years and never bothered to try out. The original plan was to make it for breakfast on a Saturday morning since we were supposed to have overnight guests on Friday. Well, the sleepover never happened, but I made it anyway as a snack for the guests.

The Ingredients:
  • 4 cans of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits
  • 1 1/3 cups of sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 sticks of butter
The Instructions:
In a medium bowl combine the sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside. Cut each biscuit into fourths, then roll each piece into a ball. Roll each ball around in the sugar-cinnamon mixture until coated and plunk in a tube pan. Continue doing this until all the biscuit pieces are gone. It takes a little while. This is also a fun activity for children (if you trust them in your kitchen). Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan then stir in the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Heat to a boil, then pour over the balls of dough in the tube pan. Bake in a 350*F oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Turn the tube pan over onto a plate or platter of your choosing and serve warm.

The Result:
Well, for some reason they didn't turn out perfect. I had a few problems. 1) they were underdone. This could be because of the non-stick tube pan I used, or the fact that my oven is super cheap. So if I make them again, I will probably bake them in a 325*F oven for an hour. 2) I wasn't a huge fan of the biscuit taste. So when I make these again I will use brand-name biscuits instead of generic. 3) My tube pan is the kind that comes apart - so the melted butter leaked allllll out from the bottom and all over the bottom of my oven. Well, part of it managed to get on the cookie sheet that I had on the bottom rack just in case. Stupid tube pan. So I need to buy another tube pan - one that is all one piece - no stupid removable part.



The Reviews:
Everyone who tried it really liked it, even though I thought it left something to be desired. I think it would have gotten more reviews if it had been the main attraction at breakfast rather than an afternoon snack. I'll be making this again sometime, and hopefully under the "right" circumstances to have a better result and better reviews!

No comments: