Thursday, February 26, 2009

Valentine's Day Waffles

The Mission: Make my husband's favorite breakfast to serve him on Valentine's Day! I use my Mom's recipe, so these are the waffles I grew up eating. My husband loves them, and I wanted to make him something special. We don't usually make 'fancy' breakfasts, so it was a treat!

The Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp baking powder - sifted
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (can substitute oil if desired)


The Instructions:

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well blended - making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Follow the instructions on your waffle iron, since waffle irons tend to differ greatly. Serve waffles hot with butter and syrup, or your own personal favorite topping!




The Result:

These got RAVE reviews from my husband, even though he seemed a bit perturbed that I woke him up to eat them. It was noon, and I was hungry! I've never used my waffle iron before so it took me a little bit to get the proper amount of batter in the iron to make a perfectly sized waffle. All in all - I adore my waffle iron. It's actually my Gramma's Pizzelle maker/Waffle iron. She got it as a Christmas present in 1976. Yes. My waffle iron is older than I am! haha. But it is in perfect working condition, and I love it.

No comments: