Thursday, February 5, 2009

Amazing White Trash Puff Balls

The Mission: Ingredient Challenge #4 - CREAM CHEESE!

I wanted to try something new that involved cream cheese in addition to falling back on my reliable favorite. So I used recipezaar.com to find something fun. And an recipe that includes "white trash" in the title, I knew I had to click on it. Hooray that it sounded delicious.



The Ingredients:
  • 1 (8 oz) package of sliced pepperoni
  • 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
  • 2 packages refridgerated crescent dinner rolls





The Instructions:
Dice the pepperoni into teeny tiny pieces. Combine with the softened cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl until blended thoroughly. Set aside. Unroll the crescent roll triangles. Take each triangle and cut into thirds so you have three small triangles. Using your fingers (I found it easier than a rolling pin) flatten out each triangle until it's half as thick as originally. Plop about 1 to 2 Tbsp of the cream cheese/pepperoni mixture onto the flattened triangle. Pinch the sides of the dough up around the cheese mixture and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Continue this process until all the crescent roll dough is used up. Bake puffs in a preheated oven at the temperature and time that's specified on the crescent roll package. (Every brand seems to vary). Remove from oven and let cool a little bit before eating - a burned tongue is no fun!


The Results:
The thinner the dough is, the better. I attempted using a rolling pin, but it was kind of a pain, so I went back to smushing the dough flatter with my fingers. I was also having some issues with my crescent roll dough being weird. Next time I guess I won't buy generic. It seemed to fall apart a lot when trying to unroll it. I had a bit of filling left over (probably because I wasn't putting enough in the balls - but I was afraid of spillage, so I was skimpy. Next time I will not skimp!



The Reviews:
My husband does not like cream cheese, so he didn't care for them. But he did try, which is all I ask. Friend Mark loved them, as did my parents. Dad agreed with me that the thinner the dough, the better. Mom thinks that I should try making them with mozarella cheese instead of the cream cheese next time. I might take her up on that suggestion. All in all, it's a good recipe, easy to make, and received good reviews.

3 comments:

Melody said...

Clever idea, I think I might try it with the mozzarella cheese, I think my hubby and kiddo would like it. Thanks for the idea.

Reka Stormborn said...

Every time you talk about these it makes me hungry. I get to try them right? 8-)

One Bite At A Time said...

This is going to be on the table for our next get together with friens! Thanks!