Friday, February 27, 2009

"Crack Dip"


The Mission:
Make a delicious dip to please the crowd at an impromptu party held at my house. The perfect time to try the famous (or infamous) "Crack Dip." I'd had the dip once before at a friend's house, and she graciously provided me with the recipe. She's awesome :)

The Ingredients:
  • 2 (8 oz each) packages of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup of Ranch (or Bleu Cheese) salad dressing
  • 2 cups of chicken - finely diced or shredded (you can also use canned chicken)
  • 3/4 cup of Frank's buffalo hot sauce
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

The Instructions:

In an oven safe dish, stir the cream cheese until it's smooth and creamy. Mix in the ranch (or bleu cheese) dressing and hot sauce, stir until smooth. Stir in the chicken and the cheddar cheese. Bake in a 350*F oven for 30 minutes or until dip is hot. Serve with tortilla chips - I found that the scoops or strips were exceptionally awesome with this.

The Results:

mmmmm - very good. I didn't stir the cream cheese until it was completely smooth, figuring that it would melt in the oven and get creamy enough. wrong. So I ended up with some little chunks of cream cheese in the dip - which didn't taste bad at all, it just wans't as smooth as I wanted. I made the dip using Ranch dressing, but I think next time I'll try Bleu Cheese and see how that turns out. I used the Frank's buffalo hot sauce because that is what was recommended to me - I think it's super tasty, but I'm sure that you could substitute your own favorite sauce. I served the dip in a glass bowl that I kept refilling from the bowl I baked it in (I didn't want any burn accidents) - that seemed to work out quite well, since I kept the original dish in the oven to keep the remaining crack dip warm.

The Reviews:

Let's see..... Everyone except my husband tried the dip. He's not a fan of cream cheese, or ranch, so he passed. But everyone kept telling him that he was seriously missing out. I had one friend who must have told me a dozen times "This is really good." haha. The dip went over extremely well. I had saved a little bit on the side to share with my favorite coworker and my parents - good thing, too, since the party-goers scraped the bowl clean! My coworker LOVED it, and so did my parents. This is definitely a recipe I'll make over and over again!

No comments: