Thursday, February 5, 2009

Beef Stir-Fry

The Mission:

Make Beef Stir-Fry. Because it's yummy and healthy and I like it. I wasn't sure if my husband would eat this or not, since it involves a lot of veggies, but he surprised me and completely loves it. It's a common meal in our house since he requests it frequently.


The Ingredients:
  • 1 lb thinly sliced beef
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 3 medium zucchinis, sliced
  • 1 bag matchstick carrots
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
  • additional teriyaki sauce

The Instructions:

I usually buy the beef when it's on sale and thinly slice it then wrap it up in freezer paper and freeze. When it's time to make stir-fry, I pull the frozen package out, remove the beef from the paper and dump it in a glass bowl (one with a lid). Then I'll pour some teriyaki sauce on it, and sprinkle in a couple of tsps of ground ginger. I prefer to let it thaw/marinate for a few days before making to allow for maximum flavor impact. I also cut up all the veggies before I start the stir-fry. So once everything is chopped, diced, marinated, or whatever - I begin the process. First I heat up approx 2 Tbsp of canola oil in a large heavey skillet or wok. Sometimes I add a tsp or so of sesame oil because I like the flavor. Then I add the beef and garlic and stir-fry until the beef is almost done. Broccoli, carrots, and zucchini come next. Stirfry those for a few minutes before adding the mushrooms. Continue to stirfry until all the veggies are crisp-tender. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes, depending on how big a batch you're making. If the mixture is looking too dry, or starting to stick, pour in some more teriyaki sauce. It's a very "add what you want, and do what looks good" meal. I usually serve it with rice.

The Result:

I didn't like the carrots in this one as well - you can tell from the pictures that I had to use sliced regular carrot, since I usually use the matchstick carrots. But since the store was out of them, I took what I could get. I added a bit more ginger to this batch than normal and that was very nice. I tried a box rice that my husband picked up - I don't even remember which one - and it was okay. I prefer white rice.

No comments: