Sunday, December 19, 2010

Scotcheroos

The Mission:

Make Gramma's Scotcheroo recipe for Christmas time. It's been many years since I've made these or even eaten one. In my family it's quite a big hit. Gramma's been making them for many years and passed on her recipe to me. They're easy enough to make and everyone seems to love them.

The Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup light Karo syrup
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 6 cups Rice Crispy cereal
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips

The Instructions:

  1. In a 4 quart saucepan cook the sugar and syrup over medium heat stirring frequently until boiling. Remove from heat.
  2. Stir in the peanut butter. Add the Rice Crispies and stir until blended. Lightly press mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
  3. Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together and stir until blended. Spread evenly over the crispy mixture.
  4. Cool until firm - do not put in the refrigerator - and then cut into bars.
The Results & Reviews:

They turned out absolutely divine! I melted the chips together in the double boiler which makes it very easy to get a nice smooth texture. I also find it easiest to measure out the peanut butter and rice crispies ahead of time so I can stir them immediately into the hot sugar/syrup mixture. Make sure you use a large enough pan to stir in all six cups of rice crispies.

My husband had never had these before and raved about how tasty they were. I have a feeling that he'll be requesting these often in the future. They always disappear quickly off of a cookie tray, but I always make sure to reserve a few for my family who are die hard Scotcheroo lovers.






1 comment:

Reka Stormborn said...

I love Scotcheroos! Why do I keep forgetting to get one before they're gone? I may just have to make my own...