Make Gramma's Scotcheroo recipe for Christmas time. It's been many years since I've made these or even eaten one. In my family it's quite a big hit. Gramma's been making them for many years and passed on her recipe to me. They're easy enough to make and everyone seems to love them.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Crispy cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- In a 4 quart saucepan cook the sugar and syrup over medium heat stirring frequently until boiling. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter. Add the Rice Crispies and stir until blended. Lightly press mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together and stir until blended. Spread evenly over the crispy mixture.
- Cool until firm - do not put in the refrigerator - and then cut into bars.
They turned out absolutely divine! I melted the chips together in the double boiler which makes it very easy to get a nice smooth texture. I also find it easiest to measure out the peanut butter and rice crispies ahead of time so I can stir them immediately into the hot sugar/syrup mixture. Make sure you use a large enough pan to stir in all six cups of rice crispies.