Sunday, March 29, 2009

Roasted Potatoes

The Mission:
Make something different for a side dish using the white potatoes I found on sale at the grocery store. Since I was already roasting some top round steak, I figured that I'd use the oven to roast some potatoes, too. So I got out my trusty "red-checkered" Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and started flipping through until I found what I needed. No home should EVER be without that cookbook - it doesn't matter what year or what version... it's a necessity!


The Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. medium red or white potatoes
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp garlic
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil


The Instructions:

After you scrub the potatoes all nice and clean, dice them into bite sized pieces and layer them in a 9x13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle the pototoes with all of the seasonings and then drizzle on the olive oil. Using a spoon, stir the potatoes around until they are covered evenly with the spice mixture and oil. (Be careful not to launch a piece of potato out of the pan and onto the floor.) Place the pan in a preheated 325*F oven and set the timer for 45 minutes. Potatoes are done when they are slightly crispy on the edges and soft in the middles. (To speed cooking time you can roast the potatoes in a 450*F oven for 25 minutes.) Serve with your favorite meat & veggies.


The Reviews:
A+ !!! yay! This was well received by all of the guests. I knew we were having ONE extra person for dinner.... so when THREE extra people showed up, I had to tell my husband to inform the extras that we just didn't have enough for dinner. They seemed cool with it - but I did have extra potatoes, so the 2 freeloaders ended up with a small plate of my new side dish. Everything was gobbled up and I received nice compliments. I love compliments!

No comments: