Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mom's Chocolate Sauce

The Mission:
Make fabulous chocolate sauce to serve over vanilla ice cream in order to indulge in a wonderful comfort food. That and my husband made me. hahaha. He calls this stuff "Chocolate Gravy" because it's so thick and good. This recipe has been in my family for generations and I really have no idea where they found the original. It was passed down from my Grammy to my Mom to me. I'll be sure to pass it down to any children I might have.



The Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla

The Instructions:
Whisk the first five ingredients until no longer lumpy, then stir constantly at a boil for five minutes. Turn off burner and add the butter and the vanilla. Stir until the butter is completely melted. This sauce can be served hot, warm, or cold. Though it is a pain to stand at the stove doing nothing but stirring sauce for a full five minutes, I promise you it is well worth it. I also don't recommend trying any short cuts. The sauce doesn't turn out as well if you try to cut corners on cooking time.



The Reviews:
I've never, ever had a bad review of this sauce. I also very rarely have left-overs. I've given this recipe out to quite a few of my friends, since it's just so darned good. I hope that you enjoy it if you try it! I like to serve it over plain old vanilla ice cream, but feel free to use your imagination, it's good over many, many things!

No comments: