Friday, November 7, 2008

Black Bean and Corn Salad (Dip)

The mission: Bring a side dish to the 6th annual Greyhound Lifesavers Picnic.


The recipe: Black Bean and Corn Salad (Dip) as found on http://www.recipezaar.com/

Salad ingredients:


  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained

  • 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped

  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced

  • 2 cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with cilantro and lime juice

Dressing ingredients:



  • 1/3 cup olive oil

  • 2 Tbsps lime juice

  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

  • 1 clove minced garlic

  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin

  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano

  • 1 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/4 tsp sugar

  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

Directions:



  • In a large bowl, comine salad ingredients

  • In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients

  • Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated.

Notes: What you see above is the revised recipe after I made a few minor changes to the original. First, since fresh tomatos aren't in season, I decided to use a can of Rotel. I figured it would be tasty since it had the cilantro and lime juice, plus would add an extra little kick to the dip. Second, I originally used an entire red onion and I didn't chop it very fine. Consequently, the onion was extremely over-powering. After indulging in my latest concotion, I ended up with horrible "dragon breath." So I adjusted the onion to half and mentioned the finely chopping bit above.


The Result: It was tasty! Sadly, I don't have many reviews. In my excitement to get to the picnic in order to adopt our greyhound, I managed to leave the dip in the fridge and didn't realize it until I had already driven the 2 hours to Columbia. Ooops. So I brought it into work the following week and my coworker and I made a fabulous lunch, devouring an entire bag of tortilla chips loaded with my creation. (At least I wasn't the only one with dragon breath in the office!)


Review: I'd highly recommend taking this to picnics, barbeques, and potlucks. It was simple to make, has easy-to-find ingredients, and is colorfully attractive! Next time I'll probably add a diced green bell pepper to add a bit more color. It'd be easy to increase the quantities and spicy-ness to whatever you desire.



No comments: