Sunday, January 11, 2009

Garlic Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms

The Mission: Ingredient Challenge #3 - MUSHROOMS
I don't usually care for mushrooms. I don't mind them in somethings, but as a general rule, they just aren't my favorite. Something must be wrong with me. But I'm learning. So when mushrooms were suggested as our third ingredient challenge, I knew I'd have to turn somewhere for help. And what better place to turn than recipezaar? So I looked up mushroom recipes by the highest rating and came across this yummy looking appetizer. It just so happened that I had some left over ricotta cheese that needed to be used up. So it was perfect. The only thing I actually needed to purchase was the mushrooms.



The Ingredients:

  • 7 large white mushrooms, stems removed
  • 5 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 3-4 Tbsp part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese - divided

The Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 350*F. Clean the mushrooms and remove the stems. Chop the stems. Heat olive oil in a small saute pan, add chopped mushroom stems and saute for 3 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly in a small mixing bowl. After the mushroom mixture has cooled, add ricotta cheese and 2 Tbsp of the grated parmesan. Mix well and then fill the mushroom caps with the cheese mixture. Place mushrooms on a greased cookie sheet. (I greased up some aluminum foil on a cookie sheet so I'd have less mess to clean up.) Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on the stuffed mushrooms and then bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.




The Result:

Oh.My.God. I am soooo glad I doubled this recipe, because these mushrooms are to die for. Seriously. And I don't even like mushrooms. I served them to my husband and Friend Mark. My husband loves mushrooms and I think he ate most of them. Mark isn't a big fan of mushrooms, but I think he managed to eat at least three before the disappeared. I had a little bit of extra filling left over and I just baked it in a glass dish. It was so tasty. I would HIGHLY recommend making at least a double batch.


The Reviews:


Well - my husband loved them. I loved them. Mark loved them. This recipe is fantastic. They will be on the menu for my sister's bridal shower and I'm trying to come up with an excuse to host another party where appetizers will be needed. Definitely give these a try!

No comments: