Monday, January 5, 2009

Chocolate Chip Muffins

The Mission:
Make something yummy for a "Christmas Brunch" at work. I wanted to do something easy, something cheap (I had all the ingredients already), yet something a little bit different. Chocolate Chip muffins are slightly more unique than blueberry. Right??





The Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar - packed
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter - melted, then cooled
  • 2 eggs - lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 (11.5 oz) package of chocolate chips

The Instructions: Preheat the oven to 400*F. Arrange 12 muffin cup papers in muffin tin. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, blend together the milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add milk mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and spoon batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffin tin to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin to finish cooling. Serve warm or cool. The Result: They turned out really well. They were heavier than I expected them to be, but that worked out nicely. In my oven (which tends to be a bit weird) they took the full 20 minutes. I ended up doubling the recipe so I'd have 2 dozen muffins. We were expecting about 20 people at the brunch.

The Reviews: My muffins got rave reviews. Hooray. One coworker commented on how nice it was that I used regular sized chocolate chips instead of the mini ones. It had never crossed my mind to use minis, so I'm glad I didn't think of it. The muffins were devoured by hungry coworkers so I didn't have a single one left over to get any family reviews. I'd say that this recipe is a keeper!

1 comment:

Mrs. Potts said...

YUM! I love chocolate chip anything. I'll have to try this one out.