Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snickerdoodles

The Mission: Christmas Cookie Recipe #5
I usually don't make snickerdoodles at Christmas time, but I'm not sure why. I love them, they taste good, and they seem to be fairly popular. So this year I dug out my Gramma's recipe and went to work.




The Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar - divided
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 large eggs
The Instructions:
In a mixing bowl cream butter shortening, eggs, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar. Add baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Beat until combined, making sure you scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the flour. Cover and chill dough for an hour or so or until easy to handle. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the cinnamon. Roll the dough into 1" balls and then roll balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until coated. Place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375*F oven for 10-11 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

The Results:
They turned out really well. I doubled the recipe so I could have more of the cinammony sugary goodness. In my oven it only took 10 minutes for them to be done. I found that it's easier to get all of the dough balled and rolled in the cinnamon-sugar mixture before baking. That's my time-saving advice.

The Reviews:
My friends who tried them said that they were even better than the sugar cookies (which for them is saying something). My husband loved them. Apparently he's never had them before. He was a bit skeptical at first, but once he had one, I think he ate a dozen. Now he's begging me to make more!

No comments: