Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Peanut Blossoms


The Mission: Christmas Cookie Recipe #6
These are always a huge hit. My friends and family beg me to make these every year. The tradition started with my Gramma and she taught me how to make them years and years ago. I can remember when I was so young that the only thing I was allowed to do was unwrap all the hershey kisses.



The Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter flavored)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 48 chocolate kisses - unwrapped
  • extra granulated sugar for rolling

The Instructions:

Cream the shortening, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, peanut butter, and milk in a mixing bowl. Add the baking soda and salt mixing until blended. Stir in the flour and mix until dough forms - it will be a little bit thick. Shape dough into balls, using a rounded tablespoon for each. Roll balls into granulated sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 375*F oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute - then top each cookie with a hershey kiss, pressing down firmly so the cookie cracks around the edges. Let cool completely before storing.

The Results:
MMMMMM. The peanut butter. The chocolate. It's delicious. They turned out perfectly! I doubled the recipe this time since there never seems to be enough to go around. I love to eat them fresh, when the hershey kiss is still kinda soft and melty. It's divine.

The Reviews:
It's hard to understand what people are saying when their mouths are stuffed full of cookies, but judging from the looks on everyone's faces and the emphatic head-nodding and thumbs-up gestures, I'd say they were a hit yet again!

No comments: